This document details how to download and install the Python agent. Before installing the agent, review the requirements below.
To use the Python agent you will need:
- Python 2.7+
If you are using windows, we currently only support Python 3.6+. If you would like additional support please add a request on our roadmap
- Install the NerdVision module
pip install nerdvision
- As early in the Python app as possible add
- Replacing the 'API_KEY' with the API key from NerdVision Account
NerdVision supports reporting exceptions to allow for automatically capturing snapshots. To configure this you need to instrument your application with a call to the NerdVision API, or if you already use a supported service we will instrument your application automatically.
Simply add one of these calls into the exception handling code:
import sys from nerdvision import nerdvision try: # .. your code.. except Exception as e: # or when you have the full exception nerdvision.capture_exception(e) except: # or when you just want to send the current exception nerdvision.capture_exception() # When you have the exception as parts type, value, tb = sys.exc_info() nerdvision.capture_exception(type, value, tb) # when you have the exception as a typle exception = sys.exc_info() nerdvision.capture_exception(exception)
This will ship the exception to NerdVision where we will process it and automatically install Tracepoints to capture snapshots when the error happens again. You can then view the snapshots via the 'Error List' page.
See Errors for more information on how this works.
The NerdVision Python agent is available on PyPI
After you install the agent, here are some suggestions for what to do next:
- Login to NerdVision and create a workspace for your app.
- Set a tracepoint on a line of real code (not comments) by clicking in the gutter.
- Execute an action in the app that will cause the tracepoint to fire and a snapshot should arrive.
- Look at the snapshot to see what live data from you app looks like.
- Debug all your apps!